12/26/22 Diamonds in the Stone (Part 1)

 Diamonds in the Stone (Part 1)

Rena walks around the museum, staring at all the beautiful displays, reading a sign here and there of things that catch her eye. She stops as she enters the geology room. All around her are shining crystals and ornate stone, it is stunning in her eyes.

She wants to examine everything much closer all at once but she is drawn to a display in the middle. An orange stone sits in a glass case on a pure white pedestal. Scattered all over the stone are what appear to be little diamonds. With the size of the stone being the size of two hands, Rena figures there must be thousands of those diamonds in there.

Rena looks at the sign on the case, “The Unbreakable Stone.” The sign explains that the rock is like nothing they have ever seen before and that no one has been able to break the stone open to retrieve the diamonds. They have tried all sorts of tools and explosives, but nothing has made the rock crack even a little.

As she stares deeper at the rock, she begins to hear a buzzing noise in her ear, like music vibrating off the diamonds. The music calls to her, giving her the great urge to hold the stone. It grows stronger, she can’t control it, she needs to get her hands on that rock.

“Excuse me,” she says as calmly as she can to a passing docent, “I know this is a strange question, but is there anyway I could hold this stone in the middle of the room here?”

“No ma’am I’m sorry. The displays behind glass cannot be handled by the public. Cleanliness concerns and security stuff you know?” the older man jokes kindly.

“Ok, but I really need to have it. I don’t want to steal it or anything, I just want to hold it,” Rena grows slightly more demanding.

“I’m sorry ma’am but I can’t allow that,” the man says more sternly.

“Look, get all your security guards out here to watch me, something! I can’t explain it but I need to hold it,” the docent tries again to object but Rena cuts him off before he can get a word from his mouth, “I think I can break it and get the diamonds out!”

The docent goes silent for a moment before grabbing his radio, “Security, I have a situation down in geology.”

“On our way. Can you give us any more details about this situation?”

“Yeah, I have a lady insisting on holding the unbreakable stone. She thinks she can break it open and get the diamonds. She is being very persistent.”

“Break the unbreakable stone?” the museum director chimes in, “I am on my way also.”

The docent turns to Rena, “You probably heard but there are some people on their way to talk with you and we will get this all figured out,” the old man says with a nervous smile.


To Be Continued

12/26/22


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4/18/22 The Hypno-Toilet

12/25/22 Paper Floor

9/22/22 We the Dreamers